Saturday, December 02, 2017

Virtual Advent Tour 2017: Winter Reads

It is that time of year again! Time for Virtual Advent Tour, organised by Sprite at Sprite Writes.

Virtual Advent Tour BadgeConsidering this is a book(ish) blog, I think it is high time for a book-related Virtual Advent post. (How haven’t I done one in all these years yet?) So, here are some of my favourite reads for winter time.   

As a child, I loved The Little Match Girl by Hans Christian Andersen. Although I cried my heart out every time I read it. I guess my masochist fiction preferences were showing early on. ;)
     

 Lassie Come Home cover

The crying continued as I was a bit older with Lassie Come Home by Eric Knight. A good part of it is set in winter and it does contain the spirit of the season, implicitly if not explicitly.

I find His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman a good read for dark months of autumn and winter, both for its setting, story lines, and the philosophical and religious questions it provokes.

Winter Ghosts coverOne of my all-times favourite books is The Winter Ghosts by Kate Mosse. Happening over a winter night in the Pyrenees, it is a poignant and touching story, written in beautiful, lyrical prose. 

And lastly, a novella from my favourite paranormal romance series (best read in order) to warm you up (ahem ;)): Untouchable (IAD #8) by Kresely Cole. Ice, winter, and Christmas – it has it all.

I am always on the look-out for new book recommendations. 

What are your favourite winter/Christmas reads?

2 comments:

  1. Great topic! I'm not familiar with any of these. I'd suggest The Best Christmas Pageant Ever by Barbara Patterson(a children's story), To Everything There is a Season by Alistair MacLeod (a short story) and Dave Cooks the Turkey by Stuart Maclean, a short story based on a radio program The Vinyl Cafe. I prefer a lighter Christmas story, so you wont' be crying through these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't heard of any of these, either! I'll check them out. Thank you for stopping by and for your suggestions!

      Delete

Don't hesitate to drop me a few strange new words! I'd love to hear what you think!